Make one of the easiest salads to create. Just fry up some bacon and assemble the rest! And, it's chocked full of vitamins.
I don't know why we don't make this salad more often since it's so easy to prepare. Many people are afraid to make a spinach salad. It's probably one of the easiest and best salads to make.
My husband has been making them for over 40 years for our meals, especially on a hot day when it's too hot to do a lot of cooking. He uses some of the easiest ingredients to find in your grocery store or farmers’ market. Fresh spinach, mushrooms, hard-boiled eggs, crispy fried bacon strips and onion slices. Plus, you can be sitting down to enjoy your Hot Bacon Dressing on a fresh Spinach Salad in less than 20 minutes. It’s that simple!
His hot bacon dressing is the easiest part of the salad - just stir or shake together some sugar, vinegar and hot bacon grease from the fried bacon strips.
This recipe serves 2 very healthy salads in 8-10" salad bowls. But, you can make adjustments to serve 3-4 people. We use up 4 ounces of the spinach leaves bag for two salads. If we're really really hungry, we'll use 6 ounces. We usually purchase an 8 ounce bag of spinach to accommodate two nightly meals for two people, making a total of four fresh and delicious salads.
Boil your eggs the day before if you like and refrigerate until you need them. But make sure you fry up the bacon fresh so it's nice and crispy. Save the hot bacon grease to mix into your dressing.
It only takes a few minutes to clean the mushrooms and slice them. No need to chop up the spinach leaves, just leave them whole. Peel and thick slice the onion. Layer the spinach, sliced eggs, onions and mushrooms. Salt and pepper on top if you like. Mix and drizzle the hot bacon dressing on top and enjoy!
Gather up your Ingredients:
4-8 oz Spinach, fresh whole leaves
4 Button Mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
2 Eggs, hard-boiled, peeled and sliced
4 Bacon strips, fried crispy
1/4-1/2 medium onion, peeled and sliced
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Hot Bacon Ingredients:
1/4 C Vinegar
1/4 C Sugar
2 T Bacon grease
Prepare and assemble your delicious Spinach Salad:
I make the hard-boiled eggs earlier in the day or the day before.
- My easy way of making the eggs is to cover 2-4 eggs in a saucepan of cold water. Bring the water to a hard rolling boil. Immediately remove from the heat, cover it and let set for 25 minutes. My eggs always come out bright yellow with NO green edging on the yolks. But, no matter, the green edging does not change the taste of the eggs so don't worry. Immediately immerse them in ice water and let set for 1- minutes. Then drain and place the cooked eggs in the refrigerator for an hour or overnight. Of course, peel before slicing onto your salad.
- Lay the spinach loosely in each of the salad bowls.
- After cleaning and slicing your mushrooms, layer them on top of your spinach in each large salad bowl.
- Lay the sliced eggs and onions on top.
- Break the crispy fried bacon and spread them on top.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on top if you like. I figure the bacon has enough salt in it, so I avoid adding any more.
- Drizzle the hot bacon dressing on top and enjoy!
Prepare your Hot Bacon Dressing:
- Save 2 tablespoons of HOT bacon grease from the frying of your crispy bacon.
- Mix the sugar, vinegar and hot bacon grease together.
- Drizzle on top of your Spinach Salad and enjoy!
Making this Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing is one of the easiest and healthier dressings. It take just a few ingredients and only a few minutes to prepare. Some people add cheeses to this salad and others add kalamata olives. And, others even add tomato chunks. Whatever way you add to your salad, "Bake your own Memories!"