Day 20 of "25 Days of Angels Baking Christmas Memories"
Oreo cookies, Hershey Kisses and Kahlua - three of my favorite things go together!
As kids many of us enjoyed dipping a treat of Oreo cookies in our afternoon milk (sometimes chocolate) after a hard day at school. Now, as an adult you can enjoy an adult version by combining Oreo cookies, Hershey Kisses and Kahlua coffee liqueur (sans milk) into one of the best tasting no-bake bites this side of Christmas. I’ve experimented with and concocted these personal pop-in-your-mouth-size Kahlua Bites, making them a delicious treat for any holiday, especially Christmas and New Year’s Eve.
They are so easy to make and no baking is needed! Pulse the Oreo cookies until they’re finely chopped and set aside in a medium bowl. Then pulse the pecans and Hershey Kisses together in the food processor and set aside. Be patient; they will all get chopped up very nicely. Sift the powdered sugar, salt and cocoa together in a medium bowl and whisk in the corn syrup and Kahlua (1/2 Cup Kahlua for the bowl, a separate swig for you). This mixture should be well combined and smooth. Combine everything together in the larger bowl and stir well. Chill for an hour. Form into 1-2 teaspoon sized balls. Roll in chopped pecans, powered sugar or even graham crackers crumbs. Chill and serve as an after dinner treat or a special snack along with a hot coffee laced with a shot of Kahlua. Yum!
Makes about 40 Kahlua Bites.
Kahlua Bite Ingredients:
25 Oreo cookies, finely crushed
1 C Powdered sugar
1 T Cocoa powdered; Dutch processed
½ C Kahlua coffee liqueur
2 T Corn syrup, light
Pinch of Salt
1 C Pecans, finely chopped
20 Hershey Kisses, unwrapped and finely chopped
Extra Pecans for rolling bites
Extra Powdered sugar for rolling bites
Get on a roll for Kahlua Bites:
- Finely chop the Oreo cookies in a food processor. Set aside.
- Sift the powdered sugar, salt and cocoa and whisk together in a medium bowl.
- Add the corn syrup and Kahlua to the powdered sugar mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in the finely crushed Oreo cookies to the mixture.
- Finely chop the pecans and Hershey Kisses together in a food processor.
- Add the pecans and Kisses to the main mixture until everything is well combined.
If you think the mixture is too soft to form into bite-sized balls, add more (1/4 cup?) finely chopped Oreo cookies and stir well.
- Chill entire mixture for one hour.
- Roll into small uniform balls, making about 40 Kahlua Bites. Set aside on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and refrigerate while you get the dipping bowls ready.
- Set up two small bowls with finely crushed pecans in one and/or powdered sugar in the other.
- Roll the balls in one or the other – pecans or powdered sugar.
- Store in a parchment paper lined tin, separating the layers with parchment paper. I only lay out two layers at the most. I store them in the refrigerator or in the cold pantry.
- Set each Kahlua Bite in a mini candy treat paper and set in a single layer in a pretty box to present as a special gift.
- Roll some in finely crushed graham crackers.
- Crush a couple large candy canes very finely and roll the bites in them for a peppermint flavor.
- Freeze the Kahlua Bites for at least an hour. Then dip them in melted chocolate candy melts, or some of varying colors. Lay them on parchment paper on a cookie sheet to dry.
- Refrigerate for about 20 minutes to harden the outer candy quickly.
If you like to get the kids involved in making these types of candies, make sure they wash their hands very well. Then substitute plain cold coffee for the Kahlua. You wouldn’t want the kids to get hooked on coffee liqueur. Whoever you make these delicious chocolatey Kahlua Bites with, “Bake your own Memories!”