Dedicated to National S’mores Day! August 10th. Delicious S'mores Caramel Cups - NO Campfire Needed!
I love S’mores, but as you know from following my blog, I don’t always do things by the book. I like to find different ways to make something taste better and look prettier. That’s why I’ve added caramel this time. I also have other S’mores recipes on my blog, in time for National S'mores Day. Take a look at my S’mores Charcuterie Basket and you’ll find a variety of other tasty treats to add to your S’mores.
How about combining caramel, chocolate and graham crackers for your next S’mores! And you don’t even need to light a campfire! It’s all done in your oven in just a few minutes. Savor these little morsels and you can just taste that campfire in the background.
This is probably the easiest way to make your own little s’more cups with a caramel Rolo twist. It makes 24 delightful little S'mores Caramel Cups for a crowd.
Begin by crumbling your graham crackers, whisking in the powdered sugar and melted butter. Bake your cups in a mini-muffin tin. I like to use a non-stick version of the pan but I still like to butter the cups to give them super easy release. I never use the spray can grease because it just doesn’t have the wonderful taste of the butter.
It’s easy, too! Let the kids get involved in crushing the graham crackers in a plastic bag with a rolling pin. I layer a couple of kitchen towels under the plastic bag so I don’t damage the counter. Or I use my large cutting board for protection.
Preheat your oven to 350F degrees.
Prepare your 24-cup mini-muffin tin:
Lightly butter the mini-cups with soft butter. I use a small food safe brush for this step. I have a non-stick surface pan and I still use a little butter in each cup for easy release after they’ve been baked.
Gather up your Ingredients:
9 Graham crackers, whole, finely crushed
¼ C Powdered sugar
7 T Butter, melted
24 Rolos (caramel covered with chocolate), unwrapped
- Crush your graham crackers. It’s easy to do with a plastic bag and a rolling pin. Set the plastic bag onto two layered kitchen towels or a thick cutting board in order to protect your counter. Get the kids involved and let them take out their frustrations. Some people use a food processor or blender but I don’t like to clean another appliance so I opt for the plastic bag. It takes about the same amount of time. Why not?
- Whisk in the powdered sugar.
- Melt the butter in a microwaveable bowl and stir it into the graham cracker mixture.
- Scoop about a tablespoon of the graham cracker mixture into each cup of the mini-muffin tin. You will use up all of the mixture. I use a cookie scoop - it's easy to get the crumb mixture into the cups with a mess.
- Press the mixture down and around the sides of each cup. I like to use a wooden stick with a thick end. You can also use the large end of a wooden spoon. I also have a small plastic measuring cup that’s made just for measuring coffee, and it fits perfectly into my mini-muffin tins.
- Bake at 350F degrees for 4-5 minutes. I bake for 3 minutes, then rotate my pan 180 degrees and bake a couple more minutes so they all bake evenly. The sides will be bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and place on a protected surface.
- Place 3 mini-marshmallows into each cup, pressing down lightly.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for another 1-2 minutes until they are soft. (Or you can place under the broiler and brown the marshmallows. Be careful so they don’t burn!)
- Remove the pan from the oven and lightly press one Rolo caramel/chocolate into each cup while the marshmallows are still warm.
- Let the S’mores Caramel Cups cool about 5 minutes. Aren't they cute!?
- I remove all the cups from the pan with a spoon, not a knife, since my pan has a non-stick surface. I cool the cups in the refrigerator for a few minutes, giving the chocolate and caramel time to set quickly. Yum!!
- Set all the S’mores Caramel Cups onto a rack to completely cool. If the “kids” are in a hurry to eat them, I cool the cups in the refrigerator for a few minutes, giving the chocolate and caramel time to set quickly. Yum!!
- Drizzle with a white or colored candy melts, adding colorful sprinkles for the kids.
- Replace the Rolo cups with Andes Mints, M&Ms, Ghirardelli caramel squares, Reese’s Peanut Butter cups, fancy Truffles, or mini-candy bars. Top with Teddy Grahams, pecans or walnuts.
However you top your S’mores Caramel Cups, “Bake your own Memories!”