These cookies are so easy to make and taste delicious - Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cookies with Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Frosting
Two favorite flavors make one of the tastiest and easiest to make cookie in the Fall. Combine pumpkin puree along with the cinnamon sugar flavor of snickerdoodles for one of the tastiest cookies this fall. Alongside a Pumpkin Latte or a cold glass of milk you have the best for a relaxing afternoon break. Mmm…mmm…mmm.
This recipe makes 30-36 cookies.
Preheat your oven to 350F degrees.
Prep your baking pans:
Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper to make the clean up process faster and easier. I’m all about making things easier.
Gather up your Ingredients:
½ C Butter, soft
½ C Shortening, white Crisco
1 C Sugar
1/2 C Brown sugar
1 T Vanilla extract
2/3 C Pumpkin puree, NOT pie filling
3 C Flour
1 t Baking soda
2 t Cream of tartar
2 T Cornstarch
1 T Pumpkin pie spice
1/2 t Salt
5 T Sugar
3 ½ t Cinnamon, ground
1 T Pumpkin spice
Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:
1 C Butter, softened
½ C Shortening, white Crisco
8 oz Cream cheese
4-5 C Powdered sugar
2 t Vanilla extract
1 t Pumpkin spice
- In an electric stand mixer, beat the butter, shortening and sugars until fluffy.
- Add and beat in the pumpkin puree and vanilla extract until combined. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the dry ingredients.
- Slowly add and beat dry ingredients into the web mixture until combined. Be sure to scrape down the sides so all is combined.
- Chill the dough 2 hours or overnight.
Sugar and Spice topping:
- Mix all three ingredients in a small bowl for dipping the dough balls. Set aside.
Bake up the cookies:
- Make dough balls from a 2-tablespoon scoop.
- Lightly press the top of the cookie into the sugar and spice mixture.
- Place the dough balls 2-3” apart on the parchment paper lined baking pans so the sugared side faces up.
- Lightly press the dough balls to flatten them just a bit.
- Bake at 350F degrees for 10-12 minutes. I check the cookies at the 8-minute mark and rotate the pans 180 degrees since my oven does not bake evenly.
- After you take the cookies out of the oven, leave them on the baking sheets so they continue to bake.
Stir up your Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Frosting:
- While the cookies are baking is a good time to stir up your frosting. It’s actually the same cream cheese frosting I put on Pumpkin Bars, all located on my blog.
- Beat the butter, shortening and cream cheese until fluffy.
- Add 2 cups of the powdered sugar on low speed until well combined.
- Add another 2 cups of powdered sugar on low speed until combined.
- Add the vanilla extract and beat the frosting on medium to high speed for 5 minutes until fluffy.
- The remaining cup (or part) the powdered sugar can be used if you want it thicker. I usually make it a little thicker if I plan to pipe the frosting onto the cookies. A thicker frosting will hold the design of the piping tip much better.
- If I just plan to spread the frosting on the cookies, I do not use the extra cup of powdered sugar.
Decorations make for Yummy cookies!
- These are yummy cookies! The combination of pumpkin flavors with the cinnamon and cream cheese makes for a delicious cookie! Of course, you can decorate them as you wish.
- Give the frosting a fall color, or marble it with orange, red and brown gel food coloring before piping it onto the cookies.
- Use the easy way out with fall sprinkles on top of the frosting.
- Add gummy pumpkins or other fall decorations on top of the frosting.
- Drizzle with caramel or maple syrup.
- Top with chocolate covered caramels.
However you decorate your Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cookies, share them with your family, friends and workmates, and “Bake your own Memories!”