Don’t worry, there’s NO pumpkin flavoring or pumpkin spices inside these delightful little Pumpkin Shaped Bun Sliders. The inside of each slider features a Beefy Bacon Pickle Jalapeno Cheeseburger with all the trimmings. Or, add on your own ideas for the trimmings. It’s fun and delicious! It’s just another way to entice you to “play with your food” and get involved in creating your own recipes. These sliders lead to a mouthful of crunchy textures and sweet heat flavors.
Sometimes you just need to play with your food. And, that’s evident with these cute little pumpkin shaped buns. They’re easy to make from my Great Grandma Melissa's bun recipe. It's a recipe that our family has made for decades over many generations.
I like to take a creative slant on some of the older family recipes such as this one. For this new to me “play with your food” idea, I’ve taken Great Grandma Melissa's decades old bun recipe and redesigned it to make some seasonal pumpkin shapes. They're fun shapes, easy to make and delicious to eat!
To make the actual pumpkin shaped buns, follow the directions on the website listed below. They are easy to follow and they have NO pumpkin flavoring or spices, so EVERYone can enjoy these cute little buns without any fall flavor stigma:
The combination of the sweet & tart homemade bread and butter pickles join the heat of the jalapenos and work well with the bacon and cheddar cheese flavors. It’s a mouthful of textures and flavors.
Mix the bun dough and let it rise as directed. Form the dough into bun rounds. You can make them in different sizes for a variety of sizes if you like. Cut cotton kitchen string and soak in olive oil, then tie around the bun forms to make the pumpkin ridges. As the bun dough rounds rise and bake, the ridges will appear as the dough squeezes through. Later you’ll cut and carefully pull the strings off the baked pumpkin shapes while they’re still warm.
Once you have made the buns, let them cool before serving with your Bacon Pickle Cheeseburgers.
This recipe serves 4 Beefy Bacon Pickle Jalapeno Cheeseburger Pumpkin Shaped Sliders.
Preheat your oven to warm in order to keep the hamburgers warm while finishing up the frying of the buns.
Prepare your stovetop fry pans:
I use two separate fry pans. One is about 12” in diameter. The other is about 8” in diameter.
Gather up your Ingredients for your Beefy Bacon Pickle Jalapeno Cheeseburgers:
4 Pumpkin shaped Buns from recipe above
4 T Butter, soft
4 Bacon slices, thick
1 # Ground Chuck or your favorite hamburger meat
One onion, cleaned and sliced
4 T Bread Butter Pickles, homemade preferred
4 Cheddar Cheese slices, thick
2 Jalapeno peppers, sliced (optional)
Get cooking on your Beefy Bacon Pickle Jalapeno Cheeseburgers:
- Spread the soft butter on all of the cut sides of the buns. You may not need all of the 4 tablespoons of the butter. Set aside.
- In the smaller pan with the medium heat setting on the stove burner, fry up the bacon, drain and set aside.
- With the bacon grease still in the same pan, sauté the onions if you want them fried. Otherwise, leave them raw. When the onions are done, set them aside on a plate in the warm oven.
- In the same pan, fry up the 4 hamburgers to your preferred doneness.
- When the burgers are done, place a thick slice of cheddar cheese on each, setting them aside on a plate in a warm oven, allowing the cheese to melt slightly.
- In the larger fry pan, add a tablespoon of butter and let melt on the medium high setting.
- Place all the bun halves in the pan, cut sides down.
- Sauté until the buttered sides of the buns are golden brown.
- Remove the burgers and onions from the warm oven.
- Place each bun bottom on a plate, topping each with a cheese covered burger.
- Top with onions, bacon, pickles and jalapeno peppers.
- Add your other toppings such as ketchup, aioli, mustards, etc.
- Top with the pumpkin shaped bun covers.
- Accessorize with chips, fries or other crispy salty treats like pretzels.
These seasonal Pumpkin Shaped Buns are a mouthful of textures and flavors in the Beefy Bacon Pickle Jalapeno Cheeseburgers. However you like your burgers, try these and “Bake your own Memories!”