Peanut Butter and chocolate are two of my favorite cookie flavor combinations. And what better way to enjoy them together than in an oversized Giant Decadent Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie…stuffed with chocolate chips and coated with peanut butter chips!
These are GIANT Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies! This recipe will make two dozen cookies that will bake to be about 5” in diameter. That’s quite a mouthful for two favorite cookie flavors.
Mom used to make Peanut Butter Cookies quite a bit when I was a child. It was one of her favorite flavors, too. She taught me how to make the pretty crisscross pattern on top of the cookie with a large fork. And I remember making the crisscross a little off-kilter whenever I got tired of making the same ol’ same ol’ crisscross pattern. I was not always a conforming kind of kid.
Preheat your oven to 375F degrees.
Prep your baking sheet:
I line the large baking pans with parchment paper. And, I usually line up 6 of these gigantic balls of cookie dough on one cookie sheet, giving them plenty of room to spread out. So, it will take up to 4 large baking sheets to get all of the cookies done. If you don’t have 4 baking sheets, remember to let them cool before you put more dough balls on them for baking.
Gather up your Ingredients:
1 C Brown Sugar
1 C Sugar
1 C Peanut Butter, creamy
1 C Butter, softened
2 Eggs, room temperature
1 T Vanilla extract
2 ¾ C Flour
1 t Baking powder
1 t Baking soda
1/2 t Salt
10-12 oz Chocolate chips, semi-sweet or dark chocolate, mini works, too
1 C Mixture of peanut butter chips and chocolate chips, optional for decorating
Make and bake your cookie dough:
- Beat the sugars, butter, peanut butter, vanilla extract and eggs together until well combined. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl so everything is properly incorporated. Set aside.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Slowly beat the dry ingredients into the peanut butter mixture, scraping down the sides and stirring up the bottom so all the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Seal the bowl with plastic wrap and chill the dough for at least one hour or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Scoop and roll 24 dough balls and place on a parchment papered baking sheet. I use a medium cookie scoop to create even portions, then roll them with my hands.
- Roll one side of each dough ball into a bowl of mixed peanut butter chips and semi-sweet chocolate chips. Press the chips into each dough ball with your fingers so they don’t roll off the cookies after you place them on the baking sheet.
- Bake at 375F degrees for 13-16 minutes, until barely golden brown. Since my oven bakes hotter in the rear, I rotate the cookie pan at the 10-minute mark.
- Leave the cookies on the baking sheet until cooled. Don’t overbake the cookies since they will continue to bake on the cookie sheet.
Baking, freezing and decorating options:
- Mix regular sized peanut butter chips with mini-chocolate chips.
For a little more decadence, drizzle melted chocolate candies over each cookie.
- And, it you want to get really, really, really decadent, melt a bag of chocolate candy melts and dip the cookies half way. Place the cookies onto a parchment paper to dry. Stick them in the refrigerator to speed up the drying process.
I know some people just don’t like peanut butter, but these decadent cookies just might be a way to entice disbelievers to try peanut butter cookies. Whatever way you create, bake, decorate or devour your Giant Decadent Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies, “Bake your own Memories!”